OK, I finally opened the can and made Diet Coke chicken. It was really Pepsi Max chicken but you get the idea.
Once you get over the initial horror of putting a fizzy drink into a meal you’ll realise it’s really great. It actually tastes fantastic! A lovely, slightly sweet and rich sauce. As I was eating it I couldn’t believe it was synfree! This will definitely be one of my regular meals now.
- 4 chicken breasts cut into pieces
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 peppers chopped into chunks
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2tsp Henderson’s Relish (or Worcestershire sauce if you can have gluten)
- 1tbsp of Kikkoman gluten free soy sauce (or regular soy sauce if you can have gluten)
- 4 tsp tomato puree
- 8 tbsp passata
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 330ml can of Diet Coke
- 200ml chicken stock (I used Knorr stock cubes)
- Fry the chicken, onion and peppers in Frylight for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the diet coke, stock, passata, tomato purée, garlic, Henderson’s Relish, Kikkoman gluten free soy sauce and mixed herbs and stir.
- Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve with: mash, new potatoes, rice…